About

Friday, January 16, 2009

Thrift Store Finds and Some New Paintings~

Happy Friday! I felt a lot better after Monday, although the sinus thing still lingers. I did get a little painting in this week, AND an afternoon with my hubby! (It was an afternoon spent taking his truck into the car shop for a new alternator, but any "together" time is better than nothing!)



Across the street from the car shop was a thrift store.....that took a little sting out of the not-so-fun-trip to get an alternator. I found a few things: A HUGE platter, a buttocks basket (this blog is now going to be PG-13 rated just for that word!), and some frames for paintings.



My little contribution to "going green" is to "recycle" sturdy wood frames from thrift shops and paint or stain those for my paintings.

I've used some of those "new" frames for my new paintings below, and I hope to get these up on my website and some on Etsy this weekend. We've had very cloudy and foggy days this week, so taking photos without any sun has been a challenge.


Little girl in a red dress and black apron, she carries her small green reticule. Inspiration for this painting is a watercolor by American folk artist Justus Dalee (1793-1878).

Felt a little "French Provincial", or "English Cottage" this week and painted a jewel-toned rooster.
A very primitive silhouette of a little girl with a basket of pansies. I did get two silhouettes up on my website this week, and they can also be seen on my Etsy. Just click the Etsy link on my sidebar. *The silhouette couple sold on Etsy~ Thanks!*


Update~ I've put these latest paintings on my website and my Etsy shop, if you'd like to view them in a little more detail:

Pear Tree Primitives~ My Website

(You'll find them under Silhouettes, and Watercolor Paintings)

My Etsy

(if you aren't familiar with Etsy and would like to inquire, just email me through my website)

~Have a wonderful weekend~

10 comments:

Ruth Welter said...

Hi Suzanne, I love your new work...ah the silhouette at the bottom is my favorite, she is so beautiful.

Ruth

Maisy said...

I go to thrift stores often. I love a find.
Your art is very pretty!!
Thanks for sharing and happy you are feeling better!

Doreen Frost said...

Oh Suzanne..I love all your new paintings and I think it's wonderful that you are using the old frames....it gives your paintings even more character and charm.

My sinus thing is still lingering too..I actually feel rather yucky!

have a wonderful day..Feel better soon :)Doreen

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

My favorite is the girl in red, my favorite color of all time! she reminds me of the lovely watercolors that Queen Elizabeth used to do in her more carefree days.

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

Whoops, I mean Queen Victoria!!!!

Lana Manis said...

oooh Suzanne! You really hit the jackpot at the thrift store! Makes me wish you were back here so we could spend more time hitting all those thrift shops again!

The Burlap Owl said...

Suzanne,
Your work is beautiful!!

Tina

Samantha said...

Glad you are feeling better- it's always SOMETHING, isn't it????

Bebe said...

Hi Suzanne!
Wow ~ what lovely finds at the thrift store!! If that buttocks basket is an old one, you made a find, girl!! Where is that store anyway?????? :0) Love your little framed artwork, especially the silhouette. Fabulous! Glad your are feeling better!
Hugs, Bebe :)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Yuck, I had the sinus thing too! hope you're feeling better, I finally am.

Manuela