About

Friday, May 21, 2010

Puppy Love

(taken last year when he was in a cooperative mood!)

I have to confess...I do love my puppy. Well, he is not really a "puppy" any longer; just one at heart. Roscoe is an older, more distinguished gentlemen now and has been with us since he was a puppy. It's been almost 11 years, but he still has playful puppy-like qualities. Some are endearing, like when he wants to chase you or have you throw is favorite stuffed toy and play tug-of-war. Some are annoying, like when he barks at invisible and/or visible beings for absolutely no reason other than they were walking past HIS house, or he imagined them there!

And he hasn't really mastered the fine art of walking on a leash....he loves to go on walks, well we call them "smells", because he has to sniff and smell everything along the way without regard to the person holding the other end of the leash!

He does love a good squirrel chase and I love having squirrels in my backyard...which doesn't always balance out. And although my oldest son reminds me that squirrels come from the Rodentia genus, or are related to the rat family.....I still enjoy them, and so does Roscoe... in his own way. I think the squirrels like the attention, and the "sport" because they love to sit close to our french doors and taunt him!

And many of you love your pets (for better or for worse!) as well. A friend recently asked if I would paint some canine friends of hers and put them in period clothing. I've done this a few times and enjoy doing it, and each time I do, my family asks me when I'm going to paint Roscoe. So far, I haven't decided what he should wear!....if anything. lol!

Here are a few pics of Patty's cousin's beloved family pets. Don't you just love their faces?





And here is my interpretation of them dressed in period clothing.........





While we are on the topic of custom portraits.....Dee's custom portrait of her son is almost done. All that is left is for me to paint an oval painting over on the left side (right side when looking at it) to balance the overall portrait.

Have a great weekend! We have one more Science experiment this semester, so that's what we'll be doing! Glad it's nothing combustible! :)

13 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

They're all so cute! I love my puppy - although he's not a puppy at all too. Just acts like one all the time. Plus he thinks he's little - he's a 60 pound Golden Retirever but he like to think he's a lap dog. Love the dog paintings!

Manuela

Constance said...

They are so sweet. I do love your art and enjoy visiting your blog. My babies are part of the family and it warms my heart to read about other well loved furbabies.

Take care,
Sallie

Judi Hunziker said...

OMG fabulous portraits! My corgi, Cooper, rules at our house. Don't they train us well how to spoil them? :)

June said...

Suzanne I love the puppy portraits! SO cute.
I enjoy your artwork so much.The portrait of your clients son is awesome!!!
Roscoe is a beautiful pup. A faithful friend, I am sure.
hugs

Atticbabys said...

Now I'm in puppy love!! Those are precious Suzanne!

Nan

Christine LeFever said...

All dogs are "puppies" to me, and cats are "baby kitties". Your puppy is adorable and so are those other ones. I love your paintings of them in period costume. What fun!

Ah yes, the squirrels. I love them too. Hey I could love some rodents, like those depicted in Tasha Tudor's drawings. So cute they are with their little home beneath the people home.

I didn't know you were doing portraits of actual people. Kudos to you, Girl! The one shown is fabulous!

(Regarding my need for knee pads for my floor project. I sit as I strip with a heat gun, so no knee pads necessary. It's rather therapeutic. )

Hugs to you dear one,

Zwee!!!!!!

Christine LeFever said...

Forgot to mention that I love, love, love that beautiful drawing/painting that is now your profile picture!

Zwee!!!!!!!!

village folk art said...

These 'Puppy' paintings are way too sweet. My (our) Kody is a true puppy love and he too thinks he is a 114 lb lap dog. Would not have it any other way. It just does not get any better when he joins me on the sofa and snuggles up to get a little sugar, while Dad is totally absorbed in the Base ball game and ignoring Kody. Dog Lovers are the BEST people ever ... You know you have a trusted friend when they love dogs.
Suzanne, gots to let you know how much I LUV your works ... You inspire me every time I visit.
;o) Barb

Dogpatch Primitives said...

oh Suzanne, I cannot thank you enough for these wonderful portraits! As I told you before, you not only captured their looks, you nailed their personalities as well. You are truly gifted my dear! I love the portrait of your friend Dee's son as well. Again, truly gifted are you! Thank you again :)

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Roscoe is such a cutie and very attentive in his glasses.
I do love your young lass in the watercolour medium... soon to share her finished I hope.
Susan x

Ruth Welter said...

Ow Suzanne, Rosco is adorable in his glasses..what a distinguished looking fellow he is. I love the pet portraits you did in vintage clothing...so creative and inspired.

Ruth

Cassie Shella said...

Good luck on the science experiment! I love your puppy portraits, they are wonderful. Have a Blessed week.

Booklinks said...

Roscoe is so cute!
The dog paintings are great!
The potret has become so beautiful!
I love this style and I wish I could paint the way you do!
Great art Suzanne!
Hugs,
Suzanne