About

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wreaths, Silhouettes and Painting in the Car

Napoleon and Josephine


Napoleon and Betsy Balcombe

We survived "Finals Week", and actually, for me it was an easier week than the week before when we were in "study mode". All I did was take them to their finals and wait in the car! :)

I couldn't "just sit" for 2 or 3 hours while they took their exams, so I brought along my watercolor paints and some paintings I had sketch out and ready to go. Our school has a physical building where all the test taking takes place. It is in an industrial park area, so businessmen and women are coming and going......You should see some of the expressions of bewilderment and disbelief when people glance in to see someone painting in their car!

John and Abigail Adams


Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd Lincoln

One project I really wanted to complete was a set of silhouettes that my friend, Lana (Honeysuckle Lane) had asked me to paint. Lana makes gorgeous wreaths out of vintage book pages. They are simply beautiful!
She asked me to collaborate with her and paint some silhouettes of famous historical couples for Valentine's Day...or some may be for President's Day! :)

And tonight she has them listed in her Simple Joys Paperie Etsy shop:


Simple Joys Paperie



Jefferson and Varina Davis


~*~*~*~*~*~*~

And while I had the paints set up in the car, I painted a few "architectural element" paintings and listed them in my Etsy shop:



Don't worry...I never "Drive and Paint"! :)

13 comments:

Lynn Barbadora said...

Wow, those are beautiful! Now there is an idea I have never thought of...painting in the car.......who said it couldn't be done!
Hugs,

Lynn

June said...

Really, really beautiful! You two make a great pair. I love each and every one of these wreaths.

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

These are just beautiful Suzanne even though their place of completion was in the car...proving that an artist holds her vision within and not necessarily what is there before her.
Susan x

bayrayschild said...

Wow, the work created by the two of you or alone is just awesome!

Simply Breathtaking!
Audrey

Cassie Shella said...

I will say prayers for finals week! And your silhouettes are beautiful.I would have liked to have seen the expressions on peoples faces to see you painting in your car. I'v done needlework while parked in my car but that doesn't surprise people...

Kim from The Sheep's Nest said...

Suzanne, I just love your work! Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to following along and seeing your latest creations.Kim

Julie said...

Hi Suzanne,
You and Lana out did yourselves. These wreath's are AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Julie

Julia said...

lovely combination of two artists!

Unknown said...

These are absolutely gorgeous!! I so want to make one!!!!!
many Hugs,
Jackie

Ruth Fraser Davis said...

Your silhouettes are so exact we would know them even if you hadn't named them.

And in the car too?

You are super terrific, Artist-Mom.

Bebe said...

Hi Suzanne!
Those silhouettes are gorgeous ~ you are so creative! You used your time wisely while you were waiting in the car....clever, very clever!!!

Been missing what you've been up to lately, as I am so behind with everything ~ hoping to catch up (maybe by Easter?..hahaha!)

Lots of love and Hugs, Bebe :)

Samantha said...

I am amazed that you can paint in the car- don't you run out of "elbow" room? When I work, I have stuff spread out all over the place. But obviously- your talent knows no boundaries!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Suzanne, those are just gorgeous. Beautiful. :)